As it currently stands, equipment are decently varied and have a straight-forward rate of progression. Correct? The problem however is that many equipment categories are fairly homogenised and don’t realistically offer options to the player other than what is obviously the best things to equip. Character customisation was a bit lacking too, you see Justin itemize into a physical attacker along with Rapp, with Feena and Liete shoehorned into Magic (although Feena did have Whips that increased skill power and attack – they were just inferior to magic options).
So what’s the solution? Simply put, equipment follows a more choice-related pattern especially concerning the secondary slots. Weapons and body armor still follow general progression with different types but still offer more options. Secondary equipment slots will now have more than one defined type that offers entirely different niches.
To begin with, the shield slot has now has been changed to ‘Offhand’ and shields are actually a sub-type of the offhand slot. Here is a list of different types of equipment now belonging to the offhand slot:
- Shield - Negates damage below a certain value [BLOCK] (Justin/Gadwin/Rapp/Milda/Liete)
- Buckler - Chance to reflect damage taken [COUNTER] (Justin/Sue/Feena/Rapp/Guido/Milda)
- Orb - Increased spell potency [MAGIC+] (Justin/Sue/Feena/Gadwin/Rapp/Liete)
- Focus - Increased spell haste [SPELL HASTE] (Justin/Sue/Feena/Gadwin/Rapp/Liete)
- Gloves - Lower SP costs [PSYCHE] (Sue/Feena/Gadwin/Milda/Guido/Liete)
- Spear - Increased skill power [SKILL+] (Sue/Feena/Gadwin/Rapp/Milda/Guido)
Then we have the weapons which are also further broken up into catagories:
- Standard Sword - Increased SP gain on attacks [FURY] (Justin/Rapp/Guido)
- Greatsword - IP knockback when attacking [MIGHT] (Justin/Gadwin/Milda)
- Axe - Chance to reduce defense on attacks [BREAK] (Justin/Milda)
- Mace - Increased skill power [SKILL+] (Justin/Liete)
- Staff - Increased spell potency [MAGIC+] (Justin/Sue/Liete)
- Hammer - Chance to stun on attacks [HEAVY BLOW] (Sue/Milda)
- Whip - Chance to bind on attacks [BINDING] (Feena)
- Dagger - Extra combo hit [COMBO+] (Feena/Rapp/Guido)
- Runikard - Increased Spell Haste [SPELL HASTE] (Feena/Rapp)
- Bow - Increased Range [RANGE+] (Sue/Guido)
- Darts/Shuriken - Extra critical hit [CRITICAL+] (Sue/Rapp)
- Boomerang - Three extra combo hits for reduced attack [VOLLEY] (Sue/Rapp/Guido)
Another catagory to look at is head specific equipment. These are also broken up into varying catagories:
- Helmet - Reduces IP knockback [STURDY] (Justin/Gadwin/Rapp/Milda)
- Hair/Ribbon - Increased SP gain upon being attacked [TEMPER] (Sue/Feena/Liete/Milda/Guido)
- Hat - Chance to warp from attacks [LUCKY] (Justin/Sue/Rapp/Guido/Liete)
- Crown - Restores health over time [REGEN] (Justin/Feena/Gadwin/Rapp/Guido)
- Armor - Provides high defense but lowers movement (Justin/Gadwin/Rapp/Milda)
- Clothes - Average defense (Justin/Sue/Feena/Rapp/Milda/Guido)
- Robe/Veil - Low defense but increases resistances (Sue/Feena/Guido/Liete)
- Shoes - High movement (Justin/Sue/Gadwin/Rapp/Guido)
- Boots - Average movement and provides defense (Feena/Gadwin/Milda/Guido)
- Hi-Heels - Low movement but provides other properties (Sue/Feena/Milda/Liete)
That about sums it all up. Equipment overall should provide more impactful choices overall and help customize characters a bit more!
Ah yes, since we're on the topic of equipment, I should mention that movement is far more scarce than it is before. In the original game or ReDux, movement wasn't really a stat thought about much. For non-dagger users it never grew much but boots often did offset any care for it, even early game. You'll be thinking about managing it a lot more now though.
Many types of equipment (some weapons, shields, helmets, armor etc..) reduce movement as a payoff for increasing defensive stats. Remember that normal attacks are far more crucial in Complete and you'll need to make sure that the movement stat does not drop dangerously low due to equipment! Balancing your defense and movement is another challenge to uphold.